For the latest information regarding how Chi Alpha is handling the coronavirus, please go to chialpha.com/COVID-19.
Table of Contents
Discipleship by Design
“We must decide where we want our ministry to count—in the momentary applause of popular recognition or in the reproduction of our lives in a few chosen people who will carry on our work after we have gone. Really it is a question of which generation we are living for.”– Robert E. Coleman
Dr. Harvey Herman is one of the founders of Chi Alpha, a ministry to which he has given over four decades of his life. He currently serves as the National Program Director of Chi Alpha, and originally wrote this manual to help answer the why and how of discipleship. This manual has helped advance the Kingdom of God over multiple decades, across multiple universities, and received several translations to reach multiple countries. Within the book, Dr. Herman uses the Bible to address discipleship principles, theological foundations of the discipleship process, and practices for actually building and leading a small group.
- What are the attributes needed to be a disciple?
- What is the ultimate test of discipleship?
- How is spiritual leadership different then natural leadership?
- What is the difference between a purpose and a goal?
- How are small group and one-on-one ministry different and necessary?
- Why do we need to love the unlovable and accept the unacceptable?
- What is the best type of leadership for small group?
Six Wins of a Small Group Leader
The Small Group Leader Podcast is a resource from the National Chi Alpha Ministry Center. It is a podcast by small group leaders for small group leaders to be equipped and encouraged as they make disciples for Jesus. In these first six episodes, we will go through the six wins of a small group leader to look at the practices the best small group leaders do every day to make disciples who make disciples.
Episode 1: Win #1 – Daily Devotion to Jesus
- Why should we abide in Jesus?
- How can we tithe our time to God?
- What will you do to spend extravagant time with Jesus?
Episode 2: Win #2 – Every Conversation Leads to Jesus
- What is the difference between teaching morality and teaching Jesus?
- How can it become more organic to talk about Jesus?
- How can your conversation lead to Jesus today?
Episode 3: Win #3 – Be With Your Small Group Outside of Small Group
- Why is the level of relationship proportional to the level of commitment?
- How can you be with your small group outside of small group?
- If you do not like your small group, how can you change that?
Episode 4: Win #4 – Honor People To Other People
- What does honor do to someone?
- Why is community important for an individual?
- What can you do to honor someone today?
Episode 5: Win #5 – Delegate Responsibility To Create Maturity
- What happens to a leader if they do not delegate responsibility?
- What happens to the disciple if they never receive responsibility?
- How can you delegate responsibility to your small group?
Episode 6: Win #6 – The Grit to Keep Going
- What does grit mean?
- How have you failed in leading people in the past?
- What can you do to become confident in getting up and trying again?