Hopefully by being aware of the signs at each stage you can catch burnout and take action before it progresses. Manifestation of any two symptoms from a stage is a good indicator you’re in that stage.
Stage 1: Stressed
Characterized by anxiety symptoms.
- Anxiety / Worry
- High blood pressure
- Grinding your teeth in your sleep
- Increased Illness
- Loss of Appetite or Stress Eating
- Unusual heart rhythms (skipped beats, rapid pounding)
- Struggle to concentrate/forgetfulness
Stage 2: Overwhelmed
Characterized by decreasing performance, increased negativity, withdraw, and attempts to medicate the symptoms.
- Lateness for work
- Dreading returning to work
- Increased marital conflict
- Decreased sexual desire
- Persistent tiredness in the mornings
- Missing project deadlines
- Social withdrawal (from friends and/or family)
- Increased caffeine consumption
- Increased alcohol consumption
Stage 3: Crispy
Characterized by depression symptoms.
- Chronic symptoms:
- Sadness or depression
- Stomach or bowel problems
- Mental fatigue
- Physical fatigue
- Hopeless Discouragement
- The desire to “check out” or run away from friends, work, and perhaps even family
- Occasional thoughts about ending your life