Chicago Agreement: Unity in Mission
As ministries committed to the Gospel of Jesus Christ and united in his mission on college campuses, the following groups listed below met on October 25, 2010 and agreed to teach the staff, volunteers, faculty and student leadership of our organizations the following principles about relationships with other Christian groups (John 13: 34 & 35).
- We do not regard any campus as our exclusive field. We recognize that many students and faculty may be helped through the various appeals and styles of the different organizations.
- We will seek to establish relationships and build bridges with our counterparts in other Christian groups on campus. When establishing ministries on new campuses, we will take the initiative to communicate with the leadership of existing groups.
- We will speak well of and refrain from criticism of each other’s ministries and members.
- We commit to addressing problems on a local, regional or national level by humbly communicating with our counterparts, seeking the Lord together to resolve the issues.
- We affirm the leadership commitments students and faculty have made to each other’s ministries and will not actively recruit them away from those groups. When starting a new campus work, each organization will endeavor to select new leaders, not leaders from other ministries.
- We recognize students and faculty have the freedom to choose their involvement with any campus ministry. In general, we will encourage them to select and be involved with one primary organization.
- We will encourage collaborative efforts on a voluntary basis between our organizations. We are open to share experiences and resources to assist each other with the unique challenges of campus ministry.
Our work was built on the Trail West Agreement of 1971, in which leaders from several campus ministries met to develop a practical means of settling conflicts between local leaders on a number of campuses across the country.
- Asian American Christian Fellowship – Melanie Mar Chow & Evelyn Fan
- Great Commission Ministries Churches – Greg Van Nada & Steve Hayes
- Baptist Collegiate Ministry – John Moore & Ken Owens
- The Impact Movement – Charles Gilmer
- Campus Ambassadors – Valorie Nordbye & Ryan Miller
- InterVarsity Christian Fellowship – Jim Lundgren & Janet Luhrs Balajthy
- Campus Crusade for Christ – Mark Gauthier & Keith Davy
- The Navigators – Jim Luebe & Mike Kozlarek
- Campus Outreach – Kent Bailey & Mike Hearon
- North American Mission Board – Mark Lydecker & Chad Childress
- Chi Alpha – Dennis Gaylor & Curtis Cole
- Reformed University Fellowship – Rod Mays
- Christian Union – Matt Bennett & Dave Riner
- Student Mobilization – Chuck Hetzler & Ted Shimer
- Coalition for Christian Outreach – Vince Burens & Dan Dupee
- Young Life College – Mike Gaffney & Steve Blacksmith
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes – Jeff Martin