Food changes lives. You’ve seen it at your own campus social events: You invite some friends to a Chi Alpha get-together where there is free food. What college student doesn’t love free food? These newcomers make connections with people there and through a series of events become a Christian, get involved in your group, join leadership and continue the cycle. Well, there is another way food changes lives. It allows kids around the world to live healthy lives, have access to education, grow up and become world-changers. If these starving children aren’t fed, we stifle their potential. We stifle their potential to live, to love; to become doctors, pastors, teachers, cooks, mother and fathers. We cannot allow any more hungry children to die. What if one of them was one of your family members? In Matthew 25:40, Jesus said when you cared for the least of these, you cared for Him. So why wouldn’t you feed one?
World Hunger Snapshot and Statistics
- There are 842 million undernourished people in the world today, which mean that 1 in 8 people do not get enough food to be healthy and lead an active life.
- Hunger and malnutrition are the number one risk to health worldwide – greater than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined.
- The vast majority of people (827 million) live in developing countries, where 14.3 percent of the population is undernourished.
- Poor nutrition causes nearly half (45%) of deaths in children under 5 (3.1 million) each year.
- 1 out of 6 (roughly 100 million) in developing countries are underweight.
- 66 million primary school-age children attend classes hungry across the developing world.
- For just $10, you can feed a child for an entire month. Convoy of Hope and our incredible partners transform your $10 into life-saving meals that are delivered in trucks and ships across the world to 11 countries where we serve more than 146,000 children.
- Through our partners on the ground, that $10 opens the doors for nutrition, clean drinking water, education and hope. Children are fed through schools and orphanages committed to the complete holistic development of a child.
- feedONE feeds and monitors the health and growth of children each day in 11 countries including El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Kenya, Nicaragua, the Philippines, Ethiopia, South Africa, Guatemala, Tanzania and the Dominican Republic. We implement appropriate sustainability programs based on the needs represented in each country.
- We are committed to the collection of water, distribution of water filtration systems, and training and equipping local partners where safe water is not available.
- In many instances, children in our programs are fed through local school leaders. Parents in growing countries place a higher value on education when they know their children will be fed a healthy and nutritious meal in school.
- 146,980 children are currently enrolled in our Children’s Feeding Initiative.
“If you can’t feed a hundred, then just feed one.”
The Waiting List Film
feedONE has been working all over the world to feed hungry kids. In Haiti, they feed more than 60,000. But at the end of the day, thousands of kids still go to bed hungry. feedONE has access to these kids, but lacks the resources to reach out to them, hence the waiting list.
Four Chi Alpha students journeyed to Haiti to film this eye-opening and compelling documentary about the waiting list.